Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Trophy Candidate

The American presidential debate system is a stalwart effort by both parties to converse with the American people and convince them who would make a better presidential or vice-presidential candidate. The American people are thus shoved into political speed dating with candidates and issues that affect them personally or they know very little about. Thus I offer my advice to the perfect candidate, since I am the one being courted, about what I would like to see happen in our government and what I would not like to hear.

First, the trophy candidate would not give a speech that sounds like this:

“People call me a beggar. I have experience asking other people for money in order to fulfill special interests for my state at the expense of the American tax payers. I often curb my decisions to what is popular or what will help my stay elected. I use trite phrases to explain large intricate congressional ideas such as, ‘no newer taxes’, or ‘we need change’ because I believe that the average American voter is too dim-witted to understand my complex brain and the workings of Washington legislatures, probably due to the fact that I voted against educational improvements in our country so that the money could go to some worth while cause like war, terrorism, or another oil producing country. I know that the American people are hurting with our inflated economy. I fought in a war once and have been hurt. I know or have heard about a Joe Schmoo who lives on Main Street in Anywhere Town. Joe and his wife Ann sent me a Christmas card last year, in it was a message saying thank you for being a remarkable person. Joe thinks I know what I’m doing and you should too. I mention this because it makes it seem like I have talked to people and also listened to them. This election is the most important of our century, make sure you vote for me in November.”

I would prefer a candidate to also an attitude that sounds like:

“I am an American…with an A. I grew up in a small town, received a big scholarship to a prestigious school and finished in the top 2% of my class. I believe that Americans want to be represented by someone who will not embarrass them. I would like the opportunity to take on that responsibility. I have worked with many people. I have had experience in the areas of our government where change is needed, such as the economy and foreign affairs. When I am elected by the American people, I will surround myself with the most intelligent advisors that American people can put forward. I will move funds towards the most needed infrastructure in our country – education. Without education future leaders can not make it through the problems that may arise from mistakes I could make as president. I will try to fix the mistakes of previous administrations that have done the same. I, like many American support our troops in other countries, but would prefer options that allow them to be safer in battle and closer to their families. This does not make me unpatriotic, just pro-American strong families. I know that the price of milk is around $3.78 and that bread is $1.98. These, along with fluctuating gas prices, are enough to realize that American people are suffering. I don’t need to explain what 95% of Americans are experiencing first-hand. This will be my first priority as president. Rapid and efficient changes are needed. In the first 100 days of my presidency I will present Congress with many strategies that will provide relief for Americans. These will not be easy hand-out programs. Americans will have to work hard like they always have and rise to the occasion, much like that great generation after the depression in the 1930s. One of these programs will be to move budget monies to support the inception of a new energy program that will make us independent of other countries. This will require all Americans to write to their Congress representative and voice their concerns. Active participation will breed a more efficient Washington D.C. This election is the most important of our time, not because of the candidates’ demographics but because it is the first time so many decisions are going to be left in the hands of the American people on Election Day. You, the American people will decide what direction this country will go.”

I am offended by politicians that carry trite phrases filled with vague generalizations. I want politicians to speak to me not about what they think I know. If there is a problem, like the recent Wall Street debacle, I want the politicians to level with me and tell me what their strategies are to deal with the problem and how to prevent it from happening again. If they use language that stretches my meager vocabulary, maybe they should define it or maybe I should get up off my couch and look those words up in dictionary to see if what they said is going to affect me. Americans have become complacent in thinking that their representatives represent only them. The legislative branch has always been an area of compromises. People of like minds and motivations have come representing the people of their region. Sometimes interests conflict and deals must be struck that are better for some than others. Legislatures can not speak for other’s interests unless they are aware of them. The Trophy Politician is one that will look good, talk pretty, and dance at the right times. The American people can not and should not allow this kind of political pandering to trump our ability to think for ourselves.

No comments: